Monday, May 18, 2009

Running in the 'Burgh

On May 3rd, Rob and I ran the Pittsburgh Marathon along with my cousin Kerry and her husband.  We drove up with the kids to spend the whole weekend and Mom & Dad came along as well.  We had to leave the house at 5 A.M. and Dad was nice enough to get up with us to drive us to Kerry's house. He also went into the city to take a few photos of the race. He took great pictures of the crowd but I don't have those yet (and I may never). I do have a few of us running which is great because it's fun to see yourself running but it's awful because you see how you look running.  All of the photos I have are posted in the links to the right. Here are just a few. 
Pittsburgh before the race:

Dressed in my American Cancer Society tee.
Rob was the first one to bump into Dad. And by the first one I mean he was the fastest. He runs fast. So fast that he says it physically hurts him to run slow. That's fast. 
He's so fast, I think he thought he won the race. 

I run quite slow. So slow that it actually looks like I'm walking in most of the photos. Dad caught up with me around mile 10 and ran with me for about 1/4 mile. This is no small feat given his 15 pound camera. Okay, I exaggerate, but not by much. After a minute I think the runners around me thought I was famous because I was the only one with a photographer running next to me taking about 300 photos.
After the race we went out for pizza, hoagies (mmmm hogie) and beer. My cousin, Dan, joined us. He kind of ran the race. It's a very long and complicated story but basically he ran his own half-marathon and joined us after. Kerry might kill me if she ever sees this posted.
Dan, Rob, Bill, Kerry, Me
Austin getting toasty in his foil blanket. He's a future runner, I can tell. 
I finished the half-marathon in 2:10 and Rob did the full-marathon in 3:44. Rock stars!

No comments: